Check out the article here. Or I can just paste it!
"As a mom, I am amazed by the research on the role of nutrition and maternal health. A current research study looked at the role of mom's diet and how this impacts the future health of her baby. The research study concluded that there is a strong relationship to what mom eats in pregnancy, during breastfeeding and beyond. For example, if mom's diet is high in fruits and vegetables during pregnancy and during nursing, then baby will have a higher likelihood of eating fruits and vegetables. They looked and tracked carrot intake as well as foods that may be culturally specific, such as spicy foods. What they found was fascinating... Kids that were exposed to these foods consumed more of them when they started eating solid foods.
As a mom, registered dietitian, and ADA Spokesperson, I tried out this theory on my little one as well. I ate a wide variety of foods during my pregnancy and while nursing. My diet included fresh fruits, veggies, 100% whole grains, healthy oils (and yes.. when the baby wanted an occasional treat, I splurged as well.)
Since one baby is by no means a significant sample size, I can not make any scientific conclusions, but am happy to report that the theory seems to hold water with my little girl.
Her 2 favorite foods... Broccoli and Cauliflower... YES! Sometimes things just work out for the best. Her favorite foods may change over the next few years, but for now, it looks like my good nutrition habits really helped her make good choices now.
As RD's , we know how important evidence based practice is to the role of science and health. .... as good role models, we can really make a positive impact on the well being of our children, one bite at a time :) "
What do you think? All you mommies, what have you seen in your kiddos? Would you say this article rings true to you? If so I need to start eating more veggies!!! I try to eat a variety of foods daily but some days I just crave my go to foods--potatoes, cheese sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, and CANDY! If my little tornado hates veggies I bet you ten bucks I can get the kiddo to eat them if they look this fun!
3 comments:
I'm planning on trying this out with a variety of ethnic foods too. I hear a variety of flavors helps them have a more diverse palate. This is all after I'm able to stop living off saltine crackers that is...
i don't know. I would wonder if the correlation has more to do with how what you eat when you are pregnant and nursing is pretty similar to how you normally eat and then that's what kids grow up trying and getting used to.
I am not sure if it really has to do with what you eat when your pregnant. I think it is more just that your kids will like the foods that you like because those are the foods that you eat. If you are eating a healthy variety of foods, so will your child. I do think that certain foods do change the flavor of breast milk which may affect their taste buds though... Either way, we should all be eating healthier, right?
It's hard when they start getting older because then you have to be accountable for your diet-- if you get a piece of candy, they have to get one too. It makes you re-consider the foods your eating.
Post a Comment