Monday, April 4, 2011

Paradise

I love Hawaii. Everything about it, even the bugs and how my hair goes puffy.
  • We were on the Big Island in Kona.
  • The weather was terrible 82 high 71 low.
  • The water was warm crystal clear turquoise.
  • My Ben wasn't able to come. He had to work :( (this is why being grown up and having a job stinks, but I'm very grateful he has a job none the less) He was the one that suggested that I go with my family since and I don't have to worry about getting work off (what a good husband, right). I jumped at the idea and told my parents I was coming!

Some pics from the trip. Chet boogying away. The waves were huge!

That's me! I think salt water and sand compliment my hair.
My grandma, uncle Ray, Yuki, Meg and Josh were on a Hawaiian cruise and docked in Kona for a day. We picked them up and spent a day at the beach with them. I buried Meg.
We also played beach volley. The guy with the long brown hair on the left looked just like Harry from Home Alone. The sand was HOT! We had to kick the sand around and make little holes in our area to keep our feet from burning off.
First snow cone of the trip! Mmmmm.... the best shaved ice is in Hawaii.
The BIGGEST snow cone of my life!
Lava rocks. This was the biggest surprise I had about The BIg Island, the lava rocks. When I was on Oahu, going to school, the island was lush and green. Parts of the Big Island are like that but because of all of the volcanoes it was very different.
We also went to the Kona temple.
With my dad vacation isn't vacation without a good round of golf.

Food!!! We packed a few lunches for the beach and had way too many spam musubi (I loved every bit of every one I had. They only seem fitting for Hawaii though). A worker at Wal-Mart referred to spam as the Hawaiian steak!
We each took turns choosing a restaurant to eat at. I choose Jackie Reys Ohana Grill. It was good but I don't rave it. The presentation was top notch though. I had the seafood trio. Shrimp, crab cake, mahi mahi, over a bed of purple sweet potatoes. (They think orange sweet potatoes are weird). I had some type of seafood at every meal. Mmmm, I had live it up cause I don't get fresh seafood in Utah.
I was really missing Ben by the end and he was the only thing that made me want to come back to the mainland. I LOVE Hawaii and I had a great time with my family. I can't wait to go back with Ben someday, then it would be perfect!

Oh and I saw a whale for the first time as we were driving to the beach!

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Kimi! it looks like you guys had so much fun! awesome! and we need to get shaved ice this summer!