Saturday, December 5, 2009

Smells Like Christmas Around Here


We have a Christmas tree, and it's REAL!! (not decorated yet, but will be soon) Mmmmmm the smell of pine fills the rooms of our condo and it smells like Christmas. Monday night we looked around but we didn't find "the one." Wednesday we tried again and found it! It was at Lowe's waiting for a home. The guy who helped us was funny. I told him we needed a hole drilled in the bottom because that's what our stand required. He looked at me funny and said, "A drill? I don't know if we have a drill." I told him, "This is Lowe's you have to have a drill." They ended up having a drill and as we talked to the man from Georgia he looked at me and asked "Are you Indian or something?" Ha ha, Indian.

I don't know why I get asked, Indian. I can tell when people are wondering what I am, because they look at me and then ask something like "Hope you don't mind me asking but are you __________?" Fill in any ethnicity, I have been called everything, maybe not Antarctic or Danish, but everything else. This is the 3rd time that Indian has been guessed.

1st time- I was at EFY and a girl in my group found out I was half Japanese. She told me she thought I was Indian this whole time. She was 13, she didn't know what indians looked like.

2nd time-I told a sealer in the temple that I was from Blackfoot. He then asked it I was Indian. Nope.

3rd time-Lowe's Christmas tree man.

When I moved into Raintree, as I was getting to know my roommates for the first time, I didn't want them to wonder and hurt their brain to figure out what I was, I immediately eliminated Indian from their pool of guesses. I randomly blurted out "Guys I'm not Indian." They just looked at me and laughed.

Can you see the resemblance? We're both holding things and have dark hair. Both have a necklace, no red tattoo but I do have a red shirt, I like little birds on my shoulder. As I compare myself to Pocahontas, the famous Indian who I'm guessing everyone is comparing me to, I look more Indian than I thought.


















I'm holding up the famous cake we made for our ward Christmas party. Ben's sister Mary and her husband Ryan gave us a cake pan in the shape of a cookie! We made the cakes and filled it with cookies and cream ice cream to make an ice cream cake. I was embarrassed to take it out of the freezer because it was melting, but Ben brought it out and it was a HIT! It was the biggest cake there and the first cake gone, success!
And Ben grew a beard last month for a work competition. It's gone now and we are both happy.

7 comments:

Mary Kalree said...

Yes! I knew that cake pan was destined for great things. You guys are gonna be the stars of your ward.

wrens said...

I love the Christmas tree. Looks like mine right now with nothing on it yet!! Hope to see you during New Years!

Eric(a) said...

That's funny. I get the same question a lot. I've only gotten Indian once except they asked if I was a Native. I've also gotten Mexican. Maybe those people were blind and they couldn't see my Asian eyes.

Matt and Suzanne said...

Ha ha, well if it makes you feel any better I never though that. That is super funny though. You are just beautiful like pocahontas! :) Oh and I'm jealous you have a real tree!

Tarrah said...

Ummmmm.....what.....you're not Indian? How come I am, now, just finding this out!

Unknown said...

I love the beard Ben. You should grow it, like, all the time! I tried growing one once. It was a good one, but it itched too much, so I was glad to see it go.
Go Kimi! Way to confuse people by your very existence. I expect great things from you!

TheSycamores said...

Hi Kimi & Ben, that cake looked awesome & very chocolatey! We still didn't figure out the blog notification. Hope your flight was a smooth one.