Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fire Safety


A few weeks ago the fire station hosted an open house. The station is down the street and Porter has a firemen onsie that was begging to be worn for such a perfect occasion!

They had different demonstrations going on such as climbing the ladder on the fire truck and spraying gallons of water from the very tip top, how to rescue people in a trapped car (jaws of life), helicopter landing, and how/when to use a fire extinguisher. During this demo the firemen asked if we knew how to put out a grease fire?  Instantly I yelled baking soda and a laughed about a memory from Freshmen year. And it went something like this....

I was making french fries and brought out a batch to my roomies. I must have got caught up in the conversation and the next thing I know Kirsten yells "FIRE!!!" I look over into the kitchen and see a glow of orange. We rush into the kitchen and the fire has already gotten up into the vent above the stove. We scream and are frantically running around. Someone yells, "GET WATER!" I yell back, "NO!!!!! BAKING SODA!!!" and run out of the apartment downstairs to our neighbors house knocking like a mad women to ask for baking soda. (why i didn't know where baking soda was in our apartment?, is a baffle to me, to this day.) They quickly gave me their baking soda and I ran back upstairs and tried to throw some on the fire. I was scared of getting too close but luckily Kirsten was brave and took the box from me and started dumping it on the pan and above in the vent. She was the only real firefighter in this situation. Me and the others were "helpers" but I am proud to say that I knew what to do with a grease fire. In the end, I'm glad that fire safety is still being taught. They demonstrated how to use a fire extinguisher but, I propose they throw in knowing where your closes box of baking soda is too!

Notice the 2 boxes of baking soda 

Kirsten and I


1 comment:

Mary Kalree said...

Does baking powder work too?