Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Summer

Blah blah, I have to blog at least once in August...right?

The most common question I get asked is, “ How is work?” Let me tell you. It has been a fun summer full of projects but the past 2 weeks have been crunch/stress time!! School starts tomorrow and 4 zillion billion-kitchen managers keep calling me so how am I EVER suppose to get anything done!!! This week will soon be over, school will start, and kids will get fed--delicious food I might add! Anyways, back to fun summer things.

One of my many summer work projects involved figuring out how in the world to use 19,500 lbs of sweet potato?!? (p.s. I have government commodities to thank for this project.) I bet you can think of two ways to use it:

1. Sweet Potato Fries (we already serve this)

2. Marshmallow Thanksgiving casserole thing (SUGAR OVERLOAD!)

Well think again. What I had to work with wasn’t a nice french fry piece of sweet potato or nicely pureed sweet potato. I was working with an irregular, frozen, quarter-sized piece of sweet potato. After mashing, boiling, steaming, baking, cinnamoning, cajoning, graving, sneaking, beating, corn mealing, and baking, 50 lbs of sweet potato later you get Kimi’s Sweet Muffin!! (I just name everything on the menu after me. We now serve Kimi’s fresh strawberries, Kimi’s mashy potatoes, Kimi’s crinkle carrots, and Kimi’s jiggly jello. Why not?) But seriously I didn’t want my name on the menu, but everyone in the office insisted it had the best ring to it. So whatever, I come in and name food after myself, wouldn't you? I am still quite worried about this because what if the children HATE, HATE Kimi’s Sweet Muffins? I don’t want that legacy!! The good thing is everyone in the office LOVED them, but kids are some of the hardest, most honest critics. Then again, I don’t know how the children won’t like them? I can’t wait (or dread) to see what the kids think about the muffins. I’ll let you know what I find out, but seriously they are the best tasting sweet potato infused corn bread muffins you’ll ever find, ask Aunt Jemima! And don’t judge sweet potato, it will come back 19,500 lbs later and smash you like it did to me!

Without further ado, meet the nice, delicious, individually packaged (legit) Kimi’s Sweet Muffin (you can’t name them Kimi’s Sweet Corn Bread, because supposedly the word “corn” deters kids from trying them).

Served with baked chicken, mashed potatoes, watermelon, and fresh sugar snap peas!

Other BIG work news...Meet my ride. I get to take this around when I travel to schools. I'll try not to detect your jealousy in the comments :)


Happy back to school week!

3 comments:

Mary Kalree said...

Wow, I had no idea you come up with new recipes. That is awesome. Can I try a sweet muffin next week when I visit?

30 year-old Dad said...

By the way, that last comment was me.

Matt and Suzanne said...

whoa! Kimi! You are FAMOUS! That is the coolest thing ever. I wish I could try one. They look delicious! I bet the kids will love them.:)