Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Harvest in Full Force

My little corner of tomatoes and carrots had become a jungle. I decided it was time for harvest. I called my crew and we got to work.
The crop

3 red tomatoes and the rest pure wicked witch green tomatoes (in the spirit of Halloween)

Lots of green tomatoes. I looked to a couple of sources on how to make green tomatoes turn red. 1st my grandma and 2nd Google.

How to ripen tomatoes: Plastic bag method - For a few or many tomatoes

Assemble plastic bags. Punch a few "air circulation" holes in each bag you are going to use.

Place 3 - 4 tomatoes with 1 banana in each bag. Depending on the size of your bag, you may be able to add more (or perhaps less). Be guided by the size of the bag, tomatoes and banana.

Store in a warm, semi-humid area away from direct sunlight.

Here suggested using an open cardboard box for getting tomatoes to turn red is suitable for numerous tomatoes. Line the box with newspaper and place a layer of tomatoes on top. Although a second layer can be added, do this only when necessary, as tomatoes are prone to bruising. Add a few ripening bananas and place the box in a cool but slightly humid area away from sunlight.

Grandma's advice: Wrap in newspaper and keep in a cool dry place.

I'll see how they progress and let you know when I have red delicious tomatoes or maybe we'll have a Halloween party with bobbing for tomatoes if nothing happens:)

Any other suggestions on how to turn these green tomatoes red?

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Kimi!! I'm 1000000% Jealous of all of those yummy tomatoes that you have! One thing that my mama also does is put them on a window seal that gets a lot of sunlight... it's always worked for us! Ps wanna have dinner with Greg and I soon?!

30 year-old Dad said...

So...is the banana consumed in the process? You know, like how you can make stale cookies soft again by putting them in a jar with a piece of soft bread (which becomes hard in the process). Or do you get to still eat the banana?