Thursday, June 10, 2010

Here's Where I've Been Working

So here's where I've been working. Dad of the Year guessed it (keep your eyes open for your prize!) I wish I would have been a famous nutrition celebrity on KSL though.


I've been carrying around this bag walkin down the street. I actually haven't been too busy with the Census because I can call the people first and if they don't answer then I get to go knock on their doors. My favorite comment from someone was "Wow, I bet you like your job because you get to be outside." Ha, ha yes knocking and calling people a second time to check for quality assurance after they have already answered the census questions once is the BEST.


And Mozy....well after a while of being home I told Ben I was getting board. He told me they were hiring new people at work and he would see if they needed extra help for a few weeks. I didn't think they would go for it, but I got the job until my internship started. For 2 weeks I made calls to Mozy customers whose credit cards didn't go through. It was easy and the people I called were actually really nice. It was fun working with Ben and seeing a little bit of what he does every day, and the atmosphere of his workplace. The loaded break room, full of food, was great. I loved the hot chocolate machine and the fruit snacks, mmmm. New Mozy employees gain about 15 lbs. when they first come on because of this break room, and I can see why. I keep telling Ben that they need a dietitian to stock the break room.

So that's what I've been doing, but this week I went to orientation for my internship. Boy oh boy was this an eye opener to how busy I was actually going to be. Besides working in a hospital for 40 hours a week I have about 20 assignments and lectures to finish on my own time. (sigh) This all begins MONDAY. Only 3 more days of freedom. My clinical rotation, which I am most nervous about, is first up. I have only experienced clinical nutrition through books, worksheets, and case studies, no real live people. I can't wait to see how everything works and to learn from the dietitians at McKay-Dee. Everyone I talk to only has good things to say about McKay-Dee hospital and I guess my preceptor is really awesome. Wahoo!!! All the driving and being away from Ben isn't going to be fun, but hey it's only 9 weeks. I think time is going to fly!

Since I'm going to be driving to Odgen a couple times I week I hope to listen to many books on CD. An suggestions of things I should read?

4 comments:

Molly and David said...

books- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire (the sequel)

These books are incredible!
We probably told you about them when we saw you over spring break.
Your internship sounds awesome! Best of luck with that.

Eric(a) said...

Hey you should come visit me some time when you are in Ogden or we should hang out. I live in Layton now so we should definitely do something.

30 year-old Dad said...

Awww...yeah! Hot chocolate machine & a phone call confirming I have 2 kids coming my way!!!

And to answer your book request: Seedfolk by Paul Fleischman - fun one to listen to because of the different voices

Mary Kalree said...

Kimi,

Did you know I was born in McKay Dee Hospital? Let me know if you are working on August 30th. Maybe you could walk into the nursery and have a "moment" for me. As for audio books I'd recommend anything by Malcolm Gladwell. He has several very interesting books.